Conference of European Churches
The Conference of European Churches (CEC) is an ecumenical fellowship of churches in Europe which confess the Lord Jesus Christ as God and Saviour according to the Scriptures and therefore seek to fulfil together their common calling to the glory of the one God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
The Conference came into being after the Second World War on the initiative of leading representatives of European churches. Their intention was that the churches in Europe should support one another in the exercise of the ministry of reconciliation incumbent on them all. The first Assembly was held at Nyborg from 6th to 9th January 1959. On 8th October 1964, during its IVth Assembly, the Conference adopted its first Constitution. Since then the number of member churches has increased and the fellowship between them has deepened, as has co-operation with the Council of European Roman Catholic Bishops' Conferences (CCEE).
The member churches of the Conference seek by the grace of the Triune God to pursue together the path of growing conciliar understanding on which they have set out. In faithfulness to the Gospel, as witnessed in the Holy Scripture and transmitted in and through the Church by the power of the Holy Spirit, they seek to continue to grow in the fellowship (koinonia) of faith, hope and love. Faithful to this Gospel, they also seek to make a common contribution to the mission of the Church, to the safeguarding of life and the wellbeing of all humankind.
In its commitment to Europe as a whole the Conference seeks to help the European churches to renew their spiritual life, to strengthen their common witness and service and to promote the unity of the Church and peace in the world.
For more information, please contact Elizabeta Kitanovic.
News from CEC
- European contribution to the Pilgrimage of Justice and PeaceThe Conference of European Churches is pleased to announce a... date 04/09/2015 , 21h06
Press Release No: 15/33
- Christians unite in prayers for the healing of creation date 31/08/2015 , 20h39
Press Release No: 15/32
Press Release No: 15/3231 August 2015 Brussels The Conference of European Churches encourages all to join in a day of prayer for creation and its healing. On 1...
- Porajmos: Remembering the Roma genocide of World War IISunday 2 August is Roma Holocaust Memorial Day, commemorating the... date 12/08/2015 , 12h25
Press Release No: 15/31
- Towards a new European Neighbourhood Policy: CEC, CCME submit joint contribution to European Commission consultation The... date 12/08/2015 , 12h25
Press Release No: 15/30
- CEC Commemorates 600th Anniversary of Jan Hus’s Martyrdom date 12/08/2015 , 12h25
Press Release No: 15/29
In two days of performances, public speeches, and ecumenical prayer, CEC joined in commemorating the 600th anniversary of the death of Jan Hus. Events took place in...